Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: computer editing

  1. #1
    Inactive Member el henioso's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2000
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Hi, I know this isn't exactly super-8 but I hope someone can help me. I am considering getting some equipment to edit video on my computer. What I am wondering is what type of video capture card would I need? Do these cards come with both video in and out? How good is the quality of capture? Also has anyone used Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video? I love thier audio products and am thinking of using thier video editing program too. Thanks a bunch!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member phillipx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2000
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I use Adobe Premier 5.1 but have heard pretty good things about Vegas Video. As far as video capture cards...eeeeewwwwwww.....that's a personal choice. The DC10 and DC30 are really good cards. They have a standard video/audio in/out ports as well as S - video. The DC 30 accepts timecode. One thing, though...I've heard that the All In Wonder capture card's output is trash. I've never used the card, but while talking to a couple of people who edit on p.c.'s, they've warned me against them.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am not an editor so beware!!! My editor uses AVID MCExpress(I can't remember the version)when he is at work. However, at home he has a G4 with Final Cut Pro and a Sony DSR20 DVCam deck that he just FireWires in. I hope that helped a bit. Good Luck

  4. #4
    Inactive Member huckjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2000
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It depens on whether you have a digital video or not. If you have digital, I don't know the best way to go.
    I have used studio dc-10 to edit footage captured on my vhs-c camera. It is inexpensive and easy to use. Footage captured with the dc-10 card can also be used in Adobe Premiere if you wish. There are a few tricks to using Premiere with the dc-10 card. Contact me and i can help.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    This a shameless plug...part II...but not for me.

    The VideoMaker Expo in Burbank California
    from Jan 25-27 will allow you to check out DOZENS of non-linear systems...

    ....plus you can ask thousands of other people with similar editing interests what they think...

    ....some have already bought systems months earlier and are either stopping by the demo booth of the product they purchased to either say hi or bitch a mile a minute!

    One note of warning...if you have the money (around 3-10,000) to get BOTH a non-linear editing system AND a digital deck....DON'T GET A DECK THAT ONLY PLAYS AND RECORDS MINI DV.....

    The MINI-DV FORMAT IS TOO FINICKY AND UNRELIABLE TO RECORD YOUR COMPUTER-EDITED MASTERS TO....

    Besides mini-dv capabilites...the digital deck should allow you to record to DV CAM and DV CAM PRO.....or you could get a digital S deck (known as D-9, which is pricier).

    The digital decks have atrocious to non-existent time-code capabilites...so be careful...(mainly, there is no time-code in or out port, and you cannot set time code either)

    Bottom line....start on Super-8, end-up on Digital....or Betacam SP.

    Alex

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree with Alex on the BetaSP stock. However, I do like DVCam. I also agree about MiniDV it is just not a "strong" format.

  7. #7
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    I use Adobe Premier (version 5 I think), a Pinnacle DC30 capture/output card, and a quality VHS video player with 4 read/record heads.
    I think Premier is an astonishing piece of software which is limited only to your imagination. Although there is a bug in my system that randomly (although not very often thank god) deletes one of my captured AVI files. Dont know if its Premier doing this or my DC30 software.
    The DC30 is good, I havent noticed any loss of quality, although it does drop frames at datarates of over 2200 per sec, and apparently shouldn't. (But this doesnt really mean a lot to me)
    Ive heard that your can get these both bundled together for 500 pounds. But dont quote me on that.

    I think that this set-up is about as good as you can get for home use, before getting into very expensive pro gear. Although I expect its a wee bit dated by now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •